We have a very diverse household when it comes to meals. And by diverse, I mean EXTREMELY PICKY. Do you have one of these households? If so, read on! Here’s our breakdown:
Me — Vegan
Aurora — Vegan
Jeffy — Meat, Cheese & Bread – will not eat fruits and vegetables (except for the odd banana & strawberries)
Teen B — Jeffy repeated, except maybe a touch more picky
Teen J — Will eat some vegetables here and there, along with meat, dairy, eggs, etc.
Teen E — Likes fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy, etc. Will not eat pork products
Anyone care to come over and make a family meal at our house? Haha! It was quite a joke when Jeff and I started dating, with our two diets basically having zero overlap. It’s still kind of funny. Anyway, I don’t promise you that this recipe is healthy, but I do promise you that it’s easy and it’s yummy. With 3 out of 5 of us loving these mapley delicious carrots, I’m sure it will be a winner on your table!
- 1.5 - 2lb bag of large carrots
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (or other buttery spread)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- Peel and wash carrots
- Cut carrots into small 1/2" chunks or slice into 1/4" thick coins
- Boil carrots in water for about 15-20 minutes - until tender
- Drain water
- In a separate, small saucepan, heat Earth Balance on low
- Add maple syrup and sea salt to melted Earth Balance, stirring constantly
- Pour maple syrup mixture onto the carrots and keep warm on "Low" for an additional 10 minutes
- Stir carrots every once in awhile to coat with mixture
- Before you serve, taste to see if more salt is needed
Serve to your suspicious family and watch the joy on their faces when they realize that these carrots ROCK!
If you are not vegetable lover and are trying to get more “into” vegetables, this is a great way to start. It does have a lot more sugar than just plain carrots, but if it’s going to get them into your body, go for it! Over time, you can reduce the amount of maple syrup you use until you don’t use any. 1/2 cup of Earth Balance for an entire bag of carrots isn’t something I would be concerned about if you’re hoping to lose weight.
WIN These TWO Books!
Subscribe to our newsletter for your chance to win a copy of these TWO incredible books!
Winner will be drawn September 30th, 2017.